Sunday, September 2, 2007




Here are a few pictures- one of me with the two youngest kids in my host family, one of the four kids themselves, one of the oldest child in the family, Zakariah, who is 12, with his best friend from school, Ibrahim...they are both such thoughtful, good kids...and the last picture is one I took during a trip to the southern part of the country...we visited a small town that was setting up a bird-watching reserve in order to increase their financial stability.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Oh Allie! It looks so beautiful there! And that is so nice that you get to stay with a family that has kids (and really cute ones at that). I am still hoping to come visit this summer... I'll have to email you soon and we can hopefully get in contact about what works. Anyhow, I'm at school now, so I'm going to get back to planning for the week :) Hope all is well and I'm glad that you got your placement for the next two years!

Anonymous said...

whoops, i just wrote a message but had to sign on as an official google user. Basically, I said it was wonderful to read your updates, i just did even though they're from a month ago. Glad to hear you're feeling good about things and that you've been placed. I'd like to try sleeping outside with only a mosquito net between me and the great outdoors. I was thinking today what it would be like to live most of the day outside. Difficult to imagine considering technology's grasp on all of our lives. Particularly here..though i guess cellie phones and laptops don't require an indoor environment.
Things are going well here too, though I plan to start sleeping more hours at night. I intend, we'll see. Takes time to adjust to this school routine again. So you're sleeping without a pillow. Funny how the list of what's 'necessary' changes according to time, place, etc. It's totally relative and subjective.
did you receive the letter i sent? It was about a month and a half ago and i sent it to the first address you were at. J'espere que tu l'as deja recu.C'etait tres longue.
good to hear what foods you'd like sent. I'll work on sending you some items and a fresh letter soon. Hope you're finding some clean water to drink, that is so fundamental is it not? Maybe i care a little more than some people do though due to my inability to absorb H2O efficiently :)

Alors, i'm going to spend some time in the sunshine before it goes down, and eat dinner at Sara's house. This turned into a long comment that anyone can see but oh well. I have nothing to hide!
I love you Al, you're in my heart,
Janie