Well, this is going to be a very short first entry, as I'll be on a flight in about 6 hours. I just wanted to let everyone know my mailing address in Niger. Here it is:
Allie Helling
Corps de la Paix
B.P. 10537
Niamey, Niger
This address will be applicable during my entire time of service. (However, Peace Corps says that many volunteers choose to get a new postal box closer to their post once the ten weeks of training is over. If I decide to do so, I'll definitely spread the word. I guess the important thing to note though is that the above address can still be used even if I get an additional mailing address).
I had lofty ambitions of putting a detailed list of everything I packed in my bags, perhaps even with fancy pictures. Unfortunately, I've failed to achieve this goal. :) (I'll blame it on my ipod dying yesterday, which was sort of stressful, though it perhaps should really be attributed to poor time management). Anyway, I will hopefully still do so when I have access to the internet in a few weeks, after training is over.
So, as I said, my ipod started whirring and clicking yesterday and after a brave attempt on Pat's behalf to save it, it was laid to rest. (At least for the time being). Music is one of the few things that I think fall under the "need" - as opposed to want- category, at least for a long trip, and I didn't want to deal with the hassle and uncertainty of getting it repaired and then having it sent overseas...so, long story short, my Christmas gift came early this year as I got a new ipod and pretty green cover. Christmas in July, as my mom said. (Thanks Mom and Dad...) :)
Also, here's part of an email I received from the Peace Corps- Niger desk, which explains communication during the ten weeks of pre-service training:
Please be advised that during the two months of pre-service training, Volunteers do not have regular access to email or phone. The best method of communication during this period is via international mail. Once Volunteers are assigned to their sites they will have regular, although not always frequent, access to both phone and email. You may not get an immediate response to an e-mail and it is important to be patient. Volunteers do not have the opportunity to check their email everyday as we do here! International mail is perhaps the best method of communication, and certainly the most gratifying for the Volunteer. Receiving a letter is always the high point of a Volunteer’s day. It is important to remember, however, that the postal service in Niger is not as efficient as the U.S. Postal Service. It can take three to four weeks for mail coming from Niger to arrive in the United States via the Nigerien postal system. From a Volunteer’s post, mail might take 1-2 months to reach the United States. Sometimes mail is hand-carried to the U.S. by a traveler and mailed through the U.S. postal system. This leg of the trip can take another several weeks as it is also dependent on the frequency of travelers to the U.S. Postcards should be sent in envelopes–otherwise they may be found on the wall of the local post office!
I apologize for such a boring first post. :) Thanks to everyone for the thoughtful emails, notes, cards, calls, etc. I most likely won't be able to update for some weeks, but I'll be sure to do so as soon as I can.
Tuesday, July 24, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment